The advancements in technology have made our lives easier and more connected than ever before. In the past few years, we have seen manysmart home devices like smart speakers, smart lights, security cameras and thermostats become mainstream. Now, one more innovative device is all set to transform our homes – the smart mirror. With its unique features and hands-free experience, smart mirrors are poised to become the next big thing in home automation.
What is a Smart Mirror?
A smart mirror, also known as a magic mirror, is an interactive mirror that doubles up as a smart home display. It has a HD or FHD display built-in within the mirror glass which allows it to seamlessly switch between mirror and display modes. When not in use, it acts as a regular mirror but with a tap or voice command, it transforms into a touchscreen displaying useful information like weather, news, calendar, music controls etc.
Some key features of smart mirrors include:
– Built-in high resolution display concealed behind a two-way mirror glass. This allows it to seamlessly switch between mirror and display modes.
– Touchscreen capabilities for navigation and swiping through various widgets/panels.
– Voice assistant integration using smart speakers like Alexa or Google Home for hands-free control.
– In-depth home automation capabilities like controlling smart lights, locks, thermostats and other IoT devices installed in the home.
– Smart home display showing live feeds from security cameras, garage door status, doorbell alerts etc.
– Entertainment features like streaming music, displaying podcasts/audiobooks, playing videos and more.
– Personalization through customized widgets, alarms, reminders, calendar events tailored for each family member.
Different Types of Smart Mirrors Available
With growing demand, many tech companies and startups have launched their versions of smart mirrors tailored as per specific user needs:
– Do-It-Yourself Smart Mirror Kits: For DIY enthusiasts and developers, several kits are available with pre-cut mirror glass, displays, mounts and code libraries to build custom smart mirrors from scratch. Some popular options include Lighticity, MySmartMirror and Anthropic Kits.
– Countertop Smart Mirrors: Sleek countertop models ideal for bathroom vanities offering basic info panels, alarms and home controls. Brands like KASA Smart, Kaedim and JerryRig provide such compact smart mirrors.
– Wall-Mounted Smart Mirrors: Larger wall-hung variants equipped with more advanced features and bigger displays for enhanced multimedia experience. Examples are Plus mirror from Kohier, Juno mirror and LifeMirror.
– Luxury Smart Mirrors: High-end smart mirrors embedded with luxury fittings along with spa/grooming functions. Polaris smart mirror and Rio smart mirror fall under this category.
Advantages of Smart Mirrors
With their unique blend of technology and practicality, smart mirrors offer numerous advantages over regular mirrors:
Convenience – Serves as a one-stop solution delivering all crucial info at home without switching between multiple devices. Gets routine tasks done hassle-free.
personalized- Customizable homescreen, widgets and voice profiles let each family member access only their pertinent info for ultimate convenience.
Hands-free Use – Voice control lets users check agenda, adjust lights/gadgets or play music without touching the mirror surface. Simplifies morning/evening routine.
Home Automation Hub – Seamlessly integrates and controls all smart home appliances from lighting to security to thermostats with a few voice or touch commands.
Entertainment – Offers on-the-go music, radio, videos right while getting ready. Helps pass time enjoyably during daily tasks.
Dual Functionality – When not in smart display mode, continues serving as a regular mirror eliminating need for separate mirror space. Saves real estate.
Eco-friendly – Replaces need of multiple physical home displays/devices thereby reducing carbon footprint over time. Affordable running costs.
Applications of Smart Mirrors
With their large multitasking capabilities, smart mirrors are all set to become integral to smart homes revolutionizing daily routines and improving lifestyle in following key areas:
Bathroom – Serving as a digital vanity assistant offering grooming tips, videos, calendar/reminders, music will enhance morning/evening routines.
Bedroom – Providing wake up alarms, weather updates, motivation quotes right beside the bed can gently rouse users and prep them for the day.
Kitchen – Enabling cooking tutorials, recipes, grocery lists will assist tasks in this activity hub while doubling up as a useful mirror surface.
Living Room – Augmenting décor with vibrant info panels and multimedia entertainment when required in the main living area of home.
Garage/Entryway – Displaying notifications, monitoring live feeds to aid activities at entry/exit points and keep tabs on vehicles, deliveries.
Workplace – Providing schedules, to-dos and virtual assistant help can optimize efficiency especially for people managing hybrid work routines.
The Future of Smart Mirrors
As AI, IoT and AR/VR technologies evolve rapidly, smart mirrors of future will become even more intuitive delivering enhanced functionality:
– Advanced AI mirror displays personalized throughout the day based on habits/behaviors without explicit commands.
– Full gesture and touchless control using advanced computer vision and hand tracking.
– AR overlay showing real-time traffic conditions, flight/train statuses, delivery tracking right on mirror glass.
– Facial/emotion recognition for touchless login, enhanced fitness tracking and assisted living using biometric data.
– AI stylist advising best outfits based on occasions, latest fashion trends and individual style preferences.
– Smart appliance controls allowing initiation of various home processes directly from mirror like laundry, cooking, cleaning and more.
– Holoroom technology projecting virtual overlays to transform mirror into a life-sized smart screen for enhanced interactivity.
With declining costs and rapid advancements, smart mirrors are set to become an integral part of our future smart homes. They offer unmatched utility while enhancing overall lifestyle and convenience. As AI powers get more advanced, mirrors will emerge as the primary home display to manage all automated operations seamlessly. So in the coming years, a smart mirror might just replace multiple separate smart devices in our homes for a truly unified smart living experience.
1. Source: Coherent Market Insights, Public sources, Desk research
2. We have leveraged AI tools to mine information and compile it