Sodium cyanide is predominantly used in extraction of gold and other metals from ores and has become an integral part of various metallurgical processes. It is used to dissolve and extract gold from ore as it forms a gold-cyanide complex in presence of water which can be separated from the ground slurry. The global gold mining industry has expanded significantly over the past few years promoting the demand for sodium cyanide.
Sodium cyanide is available in different physical forms including solid briquettes, liquid solutions and gas, making it suitable for varied industrial applications. As a leaching agent, it offers high efficiency and selectivity in extracting target metals from ores. Furthermore, sodium cyanide solutions have balanced physico-chemical properties allowing for simple, cost-effective and safe handling during metallurgical operations. The global sodium cyanide market is estimated to be valued at US$ 2205.00 Mn in 2024 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 5.4% over the forecast period 2023 to 2030, as highlighted in a new report published by Coherent Market Insights.
Market key trends:
The key trend driving the sodium cyanide market is increasing mining activities around the world. Gold production has witnessed a steady rise globally, with China, Australia and Russia emerging as the largest producers. Growing mineral extraction is positively impacting the consumption of sodium cyanide. Furthermore, rising demand for base metals such as copper, nickel and zinc will further promote sodium cyanide demand from metal leaching applications over the coming years. Product innovations aimed at safe and efficient mining practices is another area of focus. Leading players are engaged in developing sodium cyanide handling and processing technologies to address industry specific challenges.
- Threat of new entrants: The threat of new entrants in the sodium cyanide market is moderate as it requires large capital investment for production facilities and distribution network. Additionally, established players have strong brand recognition and supply agreements with key customers.
- Bargaining power of buyers: The bargaining power of buyers in the sodium cyanide market is high since sodium cyanide is a commodity chemical and buyers can easily switch between manufacturers.
- Bargaining power of suppliers: The bargaining power of suppliers in the sodium cyanide market is low due to the availability of raw materials from multiple sources and less differentiation in raw materials.
- Threat of new substitutes: The threat of substitutes in the sodium cyanide market is low as there are limited alternatives available for gold extraction with comparable efficiency and cost.
- Competitive rivalry: The competitive rivalry in the sodium cyanide market is high owing to the presence of numerous global and regional players competing on pricing and product quality.
The global sodium cyanide market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period. Asia Pacific holds a dominant share in the market owing to the large presence of mining industries engaged in gold and silver extraction in countries like China, India, and Japan.
Regional analysis: Asia Pacific is projected to witness significant growth in the sodium cyanide market led by increasing gold mining activities in countries like China and India. Additionally, expanding chemical industry is also augmenting the demand in the region.
Key players operating in the sodium cyanide market are Cyanco corporation ,E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Australian Gold Reagents, Orica Limited, Evonik Industries AG, Taekwang Industrial, Tongsuh Petrochemical, Anhui Shuguang Chemical, Unique Chemical. Cyanco corporation is one of the leading manufacturer with strong global presence across key mining regions.